It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Knee Paddling Technique - Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:21 pm 

Question to all your knee paddler experts out there. I bought a Bark Tuflite 14 at the end of last summer. I am completely new to the sport. I have been having a really hard time trying to figure out knee paddling. I keep falling over which started to get really code in September and October when I was just wearing board shorts.

I am not sure if my position is wrong, if I am going too slow, missing some other unknown trick.

I tend to think that I have pretty good balance but the board is much more "tippy" than I tought. I am 6 foot and 180 pounds.

If anyone could break down knee paddling that would be great. Maybe this is already published somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Malek

Post subject: Re: Knee Paddling Technique - Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 pm 

Not an expert but can tell you what has worked for a few of us.

Out of the water sit on your feet in paddle position, Childs pose for you yoga peeps, and just get used to the position. Get out of your hchair or sofa when watching tv and sit in paddle position. I'm doing it now as I type.

Do the same on an exercise ball (insert legal disclaimer here). This is a way to work on balance out of the water, and stretch, and strengthen some core.

On the water, if it's not flat, head into the bump or wind for practice as opposed to side chop. Keep your head low and butt up.

A few of us use the garmin 305 and set the interval to beep every few minutes. A stopwatch timer works too, or count your strokes. At the beep or on whatever count you decide, get up to your knees, go another beep and get back prone, repeat. It forces you to practice transitions and instead of thinking about whether or not you feel stable, you just do it. Eventually you will feel stable on your knees and even maybe more so than prone.

When you go up to your knees stay low and smooth. Once up, take a second to find a comfortable spot, I also let my hips sink in. For me, this pause is helpful. If I rush it in bumpy water my muscles lock up and I more often fall in.

Some people pick a spot like the Bark logo to focus on as they paddle to stay balanced, over time this won't be a problem but remember, like all other sports, your body follows your head so if you keep your Mellon high or move side to side your center of gravity will be higher etc.

Lastly. No matter how tough, keep doing it and don't give up.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm 

I have a 12 ft Bark Surftech board I aquired last Fall and have been wondering the same sort of thing. It is almost warm enough to take the prone board out again. Watching videos, to
use yoga terms I see some people push down with their arms and arch their back into a Cobra
posture before pulling in their knees to get up. Is that the common break down of the movement to spring up? I have tried to drag my toes along the rails getting up to help keep my legs centered not sure that helps. Last thing I noticed is that there is a lot of friction between my wet suit and the deck pad which does not help the transition. I'll try the balance ball,

On a related note, any advice for the best approach to remount the board especially in weather?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm 

Phil good advice. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm 

Quote:
On a related note, any advice for the best approach to remount the board especially in weather?
Thanks.

keep your head stationary on transitions. it helps.

also think, 'quiet' or 'smooth.'